While in Bulgaria we were recommended many dishes but one particular dish was the shopska salad. This is known to be one of the most popular starters here in Bulgaria, the salad originates from Sofia but is made in the entire country. It is very popular with guests due to the fresh tomatoes, flavourful vegetables and the white cheese garnish.
- * Tomatoes roughly 400g
- * Cucumber roughly 250g
- * 1 green pepper
- * 1 onion
- * 3 sticks of spring onion
- * 100g white cheese
- * Parsley
- * Vinegar
- * Olive oil ( sunflower oil if you prefer)
- * Salt to taste
- * Chop the tomatoes into large pieces.
- * Peel and chop the cucumber into circles or semi-circles.
- * Cut the pepper into chunks or strips.
- * Finely chop the parsley and onion.
- * Pour all the ingredients into a bowl or plate and top with the cheese.
- * Enjoy!
- *This is not my recipe, this is a popular dish in Bulgaria and this is said to be the most common ingredients*
Hope you enjoyed making your own shopska salad, let me know what you made to go with it down in the comments below.
Check out my other posts here for more on our recent trip to Bulgaria, Check out different recipes, crafts and more.